Hi Herb,
    the licence is ok, just click to accept it,
    Gimp then goes on to create the setup for each user
    once only (ie for root etc).

    File > new means to create a totally new drawing/file
    File > open allows you to browse your directory tree
    until you locate a suitable image file to load, you may need
    to use the enter key on the highlight directory entrys to browse
    or load the image if mouse clicks won't allow you to go through your
    directory structure.

Regards
   Michael