Thanks Nick - I now have the mt-st package installed.

Does anyone have a script showing simple use of 'mt' to get a backup job
done? Just something I could use as an example to get me started. I have run
'erase' successfully but not sure where to go to now - so many options for
the command - which do I need?  I read the man pages for mt which happily
lists all the commands but gives no examples of usage to help one get an
idea of how to hang it together (in fact I've noticed that in lots of man
page - as in no examples - really reduces their usefulness).   Do I have to
pass a single file for backup (eg. a tarred file of everything) or can I
somehow just iterate though all directories backing up everything as it
goes?  And once backed up to tape, is there an index created or do I have to
handle that myself also?

And I just love to try out Mandrake 9.1 but don't have the international
bandwidth (can get 2Mbit/sec within NZ do does anyone know of a New Zealand
site for downloading from?

I'll get back to kdat some other time once I'm sure I can get everything
working from the command line.

Thanks for the help,
   Bryce Stenberg.

CAUTION: This email message and accompanying data may contain information
that is confidential and subject to legal privilege. If you are not the
intended recipient you are notified that any use, dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message or data is prohibited. If you have
received this email message in error please notify us immediately and erase
all copies of the message and attachments.
 ALSO, unless expressly stated otherwise, the contents of this message
represent only the views of the sender as expressed only to the intended
recipient, do not commit Harness Racing New Zealand (HRNZ) to any course of
action and are not intended to impose any legal obligation upon HRNZ.