On Sat, 9 Aug 2003, Fred Wyatt wrote:

> 1)  I can use Kmail if and only if I start Kppp.

     Any problems with starting Kmail on it's own?

> 2)  I can start Kppp if and only if I type the root password.

Redhat used to set kppp as root user only using pam authentication,
then about RH-6.2 they also added the "consolehelper" script. A
workaround is to bypass the use of "consolehelper" for /bin/kppp.

As #root:

'which kppp'                (should show kppp in /bin)
'ls -la /bin/kppp'          (shows kppp is softlink to 'consolehelper')
'rm /bin/kppp'
'ls -la /sbin/kppp'
'chmod u+s /sbin/kppp'
'ln -s /sbin/kppp /bin/kppp'

If you get "Device Busy" messages when starting kppp that means
your "/dev/modem" softlink maybe pointing to the wrong modem device.
In Kppp setup, select the correct device (/dev/ttyS1,S2,/dev/LTO etc)
or fix the /dev/modem softlink.

> 3)  KDE Help Center (kppp Handbook) says it is a "bad thing" to dial in
      as root.

      The Kppp book can be confusing for Redhat user's because the
      recommendation of setting up a "modem" group does not work
      around the Redhat "consolehelper" script iirc.

      By dialing in as root I think the help document is referring to
      being logged in as root user and dialing up,browsing etc, not to
      being an ordinary user who just uses the root "password" to start
      kppp via consolehelper.

cheers,
Keith.