On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 15:22:49 +1200
Christopher Sawtell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 15:09, you wrote:
> > Thanks to all who contributed to my question yesterday about server
> > distros. I'm now looking at various hardware options including mobos, SCSI
> > and raid. The problem is that any hardware compatibility lists I find seem
> > to refer to RedHat 7.x and maybe SuSE but I can't find any mention of
> > RedHat 9, Debian or Gentoo.
> >
> > So how do you find out if your preferred hardware components are supported
> > - there's gotta be a web site somewhere with this information?
> Load the kernel sources and go to:-
>
> file:///usr/src/linux/Documentation/
>
> also you could do a:-
> cd /usr/src/linux/
> make menuconfig
> and have poke around to see if your hardware has
> a configurable driver.
>
> FWIW
> I have an ASUS mobo with a scsi host adaptor made by ASUS
> from the adaptec 2940UW chip-set.
> It's run Linux more of less continuously for 6 or 7 years.
>
> What more could a fellow want?

umm I think he wants a new computer and there is sometimes a lag between
chipset release and proper kernel support. theres nothing worse than a
server that won't run the ide interface at full speed because the poxy
motherboard is not fully supported (yet).

Chris is basically right, hardware support is in the kernel BUT:

* different distros patch different stuff into their kernels and
therefore support diiferent hardware.
* different distros have different levels of automated support for some
hardware. eg its all very well if your distro's kernel recognises your
kamakooza usb hard drive keyring thingy, its another matter if your
distro automagically mounts it for you with correct user/group
permissions. you can fix those things if your distro doesn't do it right,
but it depends on the level of futzing around you want to do.

--
Nick Rout <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>