Windows solution:
- create a linux boot floppy
- install windows on a new partition / drive, as per usual windows installation
- windows will overwrite your MBR so that only it boots
- boot from your linux floppy, edit /etc/lilo.conf to have an entry for your windows
partition
- rerun lilo
And I _think_ that should do it :)
(although it's been years since I have, so better wait and see if someone corrects me
;-)

Linux solution:
- compile yourself an old (pre 2.4.19) kernel and set of modules
- install them by:
  "made modules_install"
and;
  "cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/old_kernel"
[copying the kernel manually so you don't overwrite your old one]
- add an extra entry in /etc/lilo.conf for booting your old kernel. I think something
like:
  "image=/boot/old_kernel"
  "  label="oldlinux"
  should do it, but I haven't checked it myself.
- rerun lilo
- whenever you want to use the scanner software, boot the system with the old kernel
by selecting the appropriate entry in lilo.

Hey, if you're gonna reboot to use your scanner anyway, you may as well do it using
linux, right? :-)

HTH, good luck.

Cheers,
  Gareth

ps. you may want to back up your old kernel image (probably in /boot somewhere) and
your old /lib/modules/2.4.whatever first; just in case, you can never be too careful.

pps.As I found out the other day, I deleted what I thought was an old config file and
then realised I needed it 2 seconds later, and it was critical! :-o DOH. I'll never do
that again :-/ kicked myself. But luckily I made my saving throw, by:
# strings /dev/hda | grep -B 50 -A 50 "text I know was in the config file I deleted"

An idea I saw posted to list quite some time ago - I don't know who by, but whoever it
was, thanks :-)
[and reposted here for the benefit of those who haven't seen it before]