David said:

> ...So long as you allow _any_ data (even de-encapsulated over say a
> userspace TCP relay) to pass between the Internet and your PC, there
> is a way it can be used to compromise you. Dropping ports makes it
> marginally harder, but not hard enough for the truely motivated.
>
> A common example of this folly is to limit people to say 80/443,
> which prevents people from doing anything they like. It does
> _no_ _such_ _thing_, it's trivial to set up a tunnel over 443 or 80
> and get any access you want. It does require some knowledge, but it's
> easy to implement...

Agreed. So, we take one step further along this restrictive path...

As Nick said: "...why let any machine other than the mailserver
get out on port 25?...") - but it's also possible to extend this logic
and
restrict outward 80/433 to a proxy server - and set various policies etc
on
that.

With this in place, and access to the proxy server restricted then
the cute tricks with 'nc'and similar shouldn't work.

 - steve

http://www.commarc.co.nz

(This e-mail has been scanned by MailMarshal)