I went for a walk at lunchtime and discovered the following, which may
be of use/interest to fellow cluggers (clugites? )

1. Cash Converters in Hereford St have a DSE video capture card. I know
these work in linux, cos I have one. The don't have a tuner, just
composite video or s-video in. $55,, about half of DSE's price.

hint modprobe bttv card=13, autoload=0. if someone has module parameters
that work better, let me know.

2. Small bookshop in Chancery Lane selling run-outs of computer books.
These are mainly copyrighted 2000/2001 so are oldish in technology terms,
but may still be useful. New Riders & Sams mainly. Spotted books on
Python, Perl, Apache, Linux Security, Redhat, SuSE, and lots more.
Prices around $30-45. This is cheap for Big Thick Computer Books (tm),
worth a look perhaps.