>  they used lunix (I think that was the name), a Lao variant of linux,
> based on (mandrake, redhat - details escape me)

Considering they're Americans, how many guesses? Not sure the article
said. Nationalisation was done by a Laotian engineer now living in USA
by way of making a translation for KDE.

> them. They were using 486 computers I think.

The entire computer was built up right from scratch, because only that
way they could meet the low-power requirement (and presumably some
other constraints). The main chip was a low-power version of a
computer-on-a-chip, equivalent to a 486 in computing power. No movable
parts in the whole thing (i.e. no hard disk).

> > The river's flow volume and speed would easily drive a turbine.
> Not really - what happens in monsoon time?

Context switch :) That was talking about the Otehake river, i.e. the
one with the hot pool in its bed. When you cross that river you can
feel there's enough power there for a small generator. During "monsoon"
time, the construction is dismantled - at your choice, by the river, or
by yourself ;)

Volker

--
Volker Kuhlmann                 is possibly list0570 with the domain in header
http://volker.dnsalias.net/             Please do not CC list postings to me.