Can't comment on floppies (anyone still use those other than for
sneakernet?)

> The Verbatim CD-Rs are about 2~3 times the price of other
> brands.
> Anyone got any experience with recently made Verbatim
> products?

This was discussed not too long ago on one of the Linux lists, I
thought it was this one. 2-3 times the price is irrelevant when you're
talking 40 cents or 1.20, if you intend to keep the data. Don't by
funny-named junk at the Warehouse & Co, though if they sell Verbatim
they're as bad as any Verbatim. Verbatim and Imation are identical
(they have identical manufacturer ID, i.e. are made in the same
factory). Look at their underside and notice the various distortions -
yuk. Bottom line: the only ones worth trying are probably
Verbatim/Imation and TDK, but I'd rate them midpoint at best. Benq
might not actually be any worse. You can not buy any decent CD-R these
days, even less one which had any longevity tests done to it. I still
wouldn't use magnetic media though. DVD-+R are probably ok, there I
rate Verbatim as good. Of course it's easy to burn important disks on
new media every 2 years. Alternatively, someone mentioned
magneto-optical, but the drive will be very expensive, and the media
will be expensive and relatively small-capacity. You want something
safe, you pay a safe price :)

Make damn sure you store media dry, not too warm, and in darkness(!!!).

Volker

--
Volker Kuhlmann                 is possibly list0570 with the domain in header
http://volker.dnsalias.net/             Please do not CC list postings to me.