Hi,

I have had a number of people asking about net nanny type applications for
filtering web traffic. This is not to filter email or do virus checking but
for straight web traffic censorship or protection.

As far as I can tell there are three option groups:
1 - Ban all traffic using IP tables and re-introduce only sites deemed safe
2 - Use a net nanny like service to provide a black list of sites and
randomly check what isn't being blocked or over ride those sites you deem ok
but the black hole doesn't.
3 - Read packets coming in and run a spam assassin type system based on
rules, ip tables, black lists etc.

For my money I like the idea f a red, yellow green list solution where green
list sites are deemed ok by user choice (i.e. G rated sites like Disney), a
red list of banned sites and content deemed inappropriate and  a yellow list
based on points which is monitored with the ability to have a controller
over ride as needed.

I am also looking for software which allows monitoring of usage. Some
packages allow you to have say 2 minutes use per user on email based sites
and then locks off for the day so users can use the system to browse
personal email but not abuse the system.

At present the only open source option I have found is squid guard. Can some
one point me in the direction of some good Linux solutions in this area
please. I have heard all the arguments about education verses banning etc so
am looking for software not philosophy or advice. Horror and happy stories
welcome for packages used.

The target users are homes with children to protect them from the crud that
gets sent and businesses where there is a lot of abuse and porn floating
around, not to mention spyware etc.

Any help appreciated.

Shane

Shane Hollis