I'm encouraged by all of yesterday's responses. I've not booted my machine into linux for a few weeks now. I'm going to change that starting Monday (I need to go away for a couple of days). Minimum 90% home computer time to be linux. So a question then . . .

I was struggling with configuring my smb.conf file. Hindsight shows me that the issues were in part related to the windows machines I was trying to connect with (easily sorted - when I finally realised that it wasn't just about my inability to configure the smb.conf file!). And yes, I should have done a "mv smb.conf smb.old" before playing around. I didn't.

I really need to start again with this file, and not do these things late at night ;-) Can I get the original file off the distribution disks and if so how. I'm using redhat 9.

Regards
Roger