On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 12:39:28 +1300
Barry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Can someone tell me the boot option to run Knoppix on a box with a
> raid controller.

something like f2 at the boot: prompt to see all the options.

you don't say what variety of raid? there is an article here on knoppix
with ata raid

http://rcswww.urz.tu-dresden.de/~holzhey/plugscript/doc/knoppix_ataraid_howto.html

> Normal start loaded to x with the Knoppix bg, then closed down fully,
> appeared to be a normal exit (no room for swap?).

how much ram in the machine? lack of memory may indeed be the problem,
as knoppix doesn't start any swap unless you tell it to.

>Failsafe start went
> right through to load kde & Konqueror but no mouse. I viewed some
> directories ok inc C drive which is in hde1 by using alt + arrows to
> navigate. alt/F2 also brought up a kde miniterm.

ctrl-alt f2 to get a console? start without X and do it all in the
command line? start an xterm in kde? (alt-f2 then type knosole or xterm)

i just thought, i assume c: is on the raid drive, what makes you think
knoppix is not co-operating with raid if you can see c: ??

> I also booted off a
> Peanut floppy and tried fdisk with -l, /dev/hda, /dev/hde, & cfdisk.
> All failed to read the ptn table.

no raid support in peanut perhaps?

> Box is running win98 with a 40g hd, C: is almost full & shows as 10g,
> D: is about 1/2 full & shows as 20g, if his size is correct, where is
> the other 10g?. 512k ram. Drive C possibly has some nasties in it.

what did fdisk -l say about /dev/hde when u were in knoppix?