-----Original Message-----
From:   Bart Hanson [SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent:   Thursday, May 20, 2004 11:13 PM
To:     CLUG
Subject:        Re: console via usb

On 18/05/2004, at 8:16 PM, Vik Olliver wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-05-18 at 18:52, Paul William wrote:
>> Hey all,
>>
>> Anyone know if you can get a 'Serial' Console using usb instead of a
>> serial port? I don't really care about having a console at boot up but
>> it would be a bonus.
>>
>> The only documentation I can find is about using the serial port.
>
> USB Just doesn't work that way.

I have a USB -> Serial adaptor that doesn't appear to have any
electronics or smarts, just a redirection of the wires.
I too would like to know why USB can not function as a serial port
controller. Anyone ?

This is my first question to the list, I hope I can help someone else
sometime although I'm a Unix "baby".
Real briefly - serial is a fairly dumb interface - USB is a smart interface
- the 2 are 100% NOT compatible.
The adapter you have is commonly used with a mouse or similar peripheral
that has a smart controller chip in it that is designed to handle USB or
Serial. Be warned that it is possible to damage devices by incorrectly
using the adapter you have - its designed for a specific purpose and
converting USB to Serial, in the true sense, is not that purpose. This is
the reason why DSE does not and will not sell such an adapter - people will
blow things up.
Regards, Chris...