On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 17:59:00 +1300, Jim Cheetham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<clip>
> (The Gentoo world would say "emerge apache", but your machine won't
> have the guts to do much compiling. Gentoo has a binary option, rather
> than a source option ... but I don't know anything about that)

Basically you get a "release" set of prebuilt binaries and a portage
snapshot which matches it. Henceforward you should not do an "emerge
sync" (like "apt-get update") if you still wish to use said binaries.
And binary "releases" are not that frequent. i.e. if you want an
up-to-date system, using binaries is pretty much out of the question.
I think they're really just intended to be used to get your system up
and running quickly initially, so you can have something to use while
you're compiling the latest and greatest in the background ;) I didn't
use them when I installed on my P166 - but like I said in another
post, I have distccd running on another, more powerful machine (to
assist with compiling).

> Things you should install early on to have a friendly command-line
> toolset would be (more suggestions welcome) ;-

screen.

and your editor of choice, of course :)

Cheers,
Gareth