> So, how to get a console? Thanks for the input... ;)

As I previously posted, press CTRL-ALT-F1. does this not work for you?
you will need to login after you have done so.

You may wish to use an xterm actually - a console within X (the window
system), so you can execute things like "kdeinit" that other posters
have suggested (I doubt this runs from a text console?).

So you can get a graphical login screen? Do you have any options for
what to use when you login? Most systems provide a "failsafe" option
which will start you with an xterm and nothing else. Please select
this option and log in, if you have it. Note that you will need your
mouse over the xterm window to be able to type in it.

Now, please try:
kdeinit &
[and tell us if it works / what it says]
startkde

Cheers,
Gareth