On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 12:55:58 +1300
Andrew Errington <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The biggest problem I had was getting the drivers working for Linux.  I
> shall spare you the details, but the supplied Win98 drivers worked on my
> (Win98) laptop.  I spent ages getting the Linux version going, but
> eventually I did (with prodding and encouragement from Nick).  Anyway, once
> it was going and I saw it worked I put it back on the shelf.
>
> When I took it to Nick's office we still had trouble with the driver on his
> machine (the USB stack needs a funky tweak),

It all comes back, to make the driver work you needed to patch the
kernel source, in the usb area. there was a patch which worked up to
2.6.3 or thereabouts. after that the source in the kernel tree had been
modified and the patch no longer appllied cleanly.

I see from the driver website;

> HELP!!! My device isn't accepting its address when I plug it in!!
>
> This is a known problem... The devices do not implement the USB specification
> correctly. There is a difference in enumeration between Linux and
> Windows (both methods are valid according to the USB specification).
> With the driver a patch to the USB stack is supplied for various kernels.
> Also as of 2.6.10-rc2 this problem should be fixed.

i also see that there is a newer patch file in the latest version i just
downloaded, for kernel 2.6.7  (and hopefuly later). I might give it
another try and see if it will work on my gentoo 2.6.9 kernel. I'll need
Andy again when the timecommes, as i'm not gonna buy a device that i'm
not sure i can use.

--
Nick Rout <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>