Get them a Mac.

On 29/11/2004, at 12:09 PM, Derek Smithies wrote:

Hi,
  For the sake of the discussion, I will use the phrase, "my parents".
In fact, I am referring to a potential new linux user, who maybe
any age. The reason I ask, is that I have had this conversation with
many people, and wondered what the consensus is.

My parents have a win 95 machine, that is loaded down with avg etc etc,
and cannot send email.

what do you think would best suit my parents.
    semi computer literate.
    long term exposure to windows 95
    notion of folders/directories is a bit vague

    they need a)email, b)webbrowsing, c)office.   "

Here is the sticky bit:
 However, given that
  a) they are in Invercargill
  b) cannot be bothered with joining a *lug group
  c) expect to have something that "just" works.

Let me explain the requirements.
They are in Invercargill, so a support trip is not easy. For that matter,
they could be in Christchurch, but I cannot see them for the next 4 days.
So, the actual amount of my support required better be low low.

The are not going to joing *lug group to get help. No way are they going
to download 10-100 messages a day, filter out the non useful answers etc.
yes, filters "work", but they cannot be bothered with installing/using
them.
Worse, some of the answers are intensely time consuming.
Video problems? Ah, go read www.xfree86.org, or, search google

When you buy an appliance from the store, you take it home, plug it in,
and it just works. Breadmakers, video recorders, cars take minimal effort
to get going.
Why is the same not true of computers?

================================== In an offline discussion, Nick made the comment::

yes its annoying that they haven't made a computer that just works yet.

certainly microsoft is not the answer for them, given this post i read
this morning on nzlug.

http://www.linux.net.nz/lists/NZLUG/2004/11/0394.html

Its that damn flexibilty thing, it implies complication.

I wiuld try ubuntu, it gives them a straight up sensible defaults for
browsing (firefox) , email (evolution) and it has OOo. They do not need
to choose between konqueror, mozilla and firefox, nor between kmail, evo
and mutt, nor between abiword, lyx and OOo.

Its the sort of thing that would require a newer computer if they bought
their last one with w95. Its also the sort of thing that you'd want to
spend the weekend with them installing and explaining, but they should
be able to grok firefox, evolution and OOo if they have used the MS fare.

Are guis ever going to change? apart from getting prettier, the point.
click, drag concept has been pretty constant for a while now.....

Derek.

--
Derek Smithies Ph.D. This PC runs pine on linux for email
IndraNet Technologies Ltd. If you find a virus apparently from me, it has