I just tried out ubuntu yesterday, and i dont think it's the *best* of
linux experiences i've had.

Well here's a summary of my experience with ubuntu:
-Wiped LFS partition (I previously stuffed it up)
-Installation was great, everything configured automatically and even
the TV Tuner card got worked straight away
-Tried to change root password with 'sudo root' - it asked me for a password
-Ended up going into runlevel 1 somehow to change the root password
-Tried compiling something - it asked for gcc
-Found out that you could apt-get gcc
-Tried compiling something - it asked for glibc
-Tried compiling glibc - everything went to hell followed by a kernel panic
-Reinstalled
-Got to the part about glibc
-Got the RPM for glibc
-It said to use 'alien' to convert the RPM to a deb package
-I couldnt figure out how to install the DEB package
-A little googling and i found out how
-It worked
-Everything went to hell followed by a kernel panic (maybe it didnt
work after all)
-Reinstalled
-Decided to just listen to some music on it
-NO MP3 PLUGIN!!!

In Conclusion:
Ubuntu runs like Windoze ME on a linux kernel for me.

Sincerely etc.
    Ed.

--
Beware of the GMail reply to header ;)