On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 10:18:40 +1300
Bryce Stenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>   Two hours before technician due to turn up he phones to check that I do
> live at Leithfield Beach - says I can't get JetStream there as too far from
> exchange (at Amberley, 8km) - telecom needs to lay fibre to the box at
> Leithfield beach to enable JetStream as it is currently all copper back to
> exchange.

thats weird, you used to need copper all the way back to the exchange
because dsl needs copper from you to the dslam (the dslam is effectively
the bridge between dsl and the rest of the digital world - telecom's
backbone or whatever)

dslams used to be large and exchange only, therefore you needed copper
all the way yo the exchange. people in new subdivisions fed by fibre
pretty soon found out that it was not cool for dsl.

I heard a while ago that telecom were starting to use smaller dslams in
cabinets, if that is the case perhaps the technician meant that telecom
needed to install a fibre link out in leithfield beach, install a small
dslam and then have copper from you to the cabinet.

however you definitely need copper from you to the dslam.

--
Nick Rout <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>