Volker Kuhlmann wrote:

9 (log) is overwritten which is good. The only problem is that I can't log in as root on tty10-12. It displays the message that appears when I type in a wrong username/password. All normal users work.

# cat /etc/securetty
#
# This file contains the device names of tty lines (one per line,
# without leading /dev/) on which root is allowed to login.

Now it works.

It's probably wise not to change it, you hardly need to login on >6 when
you can pick any of 1-6.

I like having the three root sessions on the higher ports and the other sessions on the lower ones. Security doesn't bother me very much. I think I have done more damage to my system than any virus/cracker/worm.

Volker

--
Happy Hacking,
Robert Himmelmann

   Use free software only. See

Democracy is a government where you can say what you think even if you don't think.
-- /usr/bin/fortune

A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read.
-- Mark Twain