First of all, congratulations are due to Jim on a most excellent list-bomb. You go, boy!

Steve Holdoway wrote:
On Wed, February 16, 2005 10:33 am, Derek Smithies said:
There are, I am told, two basic styles of replying to an email

a)delete none/some/most of the email being replied to,
   and intersperse comments at (seemingly) random positions in the
   result.

b)delete none/some/most (usually none) of the email being replied to,
  and place all reply text at the head of the email.

I'm relaxed about either approach, so long as I can get the gist of the reply in the first screen-full. It irks me having to move my fingers in order to decide that I don't want to read this reply after all. So, please either follow Jim's advice, and prune the quotes before interspersing comments, or use Derek's preferred approach (b). I don't mind which.

Don't make 200 people trawl down through your reply, in a vain search for a pearl of wisdom. By one means or another, get the guts of it into the first 20 lines or so.

Douglas.

PS: The following disclaimer is for Christopher's enjoyment. The rest of you can ignore it.

addressee.  It is subject to copyright, is confidential and may be
lost by reason of this transmission.
other act on the email.