Thanks Nick and Volker,
I looked back at the installation choices and the choice seemed pretty clear,
something like
"base install plus X window (no KDE or Gnome) so it's probably loaded the base
system. During the installation, it did report that certain files were
needed, (all X something or other) which I so did by checkmarking them, then
it proceeded to load quite happily.

I did "XFree86 -configure"
and got the message
"Fatal server error: Module load failure"

Duplicate symbol, NVWaitVSync in:
 /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.o

Looking at the log (but not understanding too much) on the very last line it
repeats the message:

Duplicate symbol, NVWaitVSync in:
 /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.o

Could this duplicate symbol be the reason for the failure to load a module?
or maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree.
Woodsey