You guys should read this page: http://www.savetz.com/fax/

The first one under the "free" services is the one I was thinking of.
TPC.INT

In basic terms it is reasonably trivial to take a fax file (which is a
close relative of .tiff or tagged image file format) and route it around
the net. It is also relatively trivial to turn any image into a fax
file. This is usually done via a printer driver - almost every program
can print, so therefore can turn what it normally prints on paper into a
fax format via the right printer driver.

Thats the sort of thing TPC.INT was doing - you give them something to
send and an international fax number. From the fax number they figure
the station running the service nearest the destination, and then route
the file to that station. The station then sends it via a fax modem at
local call rates.

It really is only useful if the recipient doesn't have email, otherwise
it is frankly easier to turn the output into a pdf and email it straight
to them. Its certainly easier to find than a scrappy piece of thermal
paper...

Hmmm I see there is no TPC.INT coverage in ChCh - anyone want to set one
up??? (You'd want a non-business line so you didn't pay 3c per minute
for the fax calls)

--
Nick Rout <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>