Volker Kuhlmann wrote:

Given a pile of image files, is there a way with gimp to convert them
into a different image format, **WITHOUT** requiring any interactive
stuff? It needs to go into a shell for loop and work. No X11!

Yes I know about ImageMagick, and I wouldn't ask about gimp if IM had
fewer than a gazillion bugs and actually got the job done.

Thanks,

Volker

Dunno what your hangups are about imagemagick... convert will do the job for you without problem.

convert  -sizeWxH file1.jpg -resize WxH resized.jpg

for example. Has worked every daylight minute for me for the last year.

Steve