From: Nick Rout [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, 16 April 2005 4:53 p.m.
To: CLUG
Subject: Re: OT: Wireless networks

On Sat, 2005-04-16 at 10:57 +1200, Christopher Sawtell wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 16:40, C. Falconer wrote:
> >

>http://staff.avonside.school.nz/cf/gps/2005-04-15%20Wireless%20Chch%20Map.j
> >p g
> >
> > This map is the graphical result of me having access to a GPS,
> > 802.11 wireless, a laptop and a bike or car.  This represents
> > several weeks of trips.
> >
> > Comments?
> Semi interesting article on the same subject from Robert X. Cringely
> at:-
>
> http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20050414.html
>
> Also interesting to see how many of the hot-spots are Primary Schools.
>
> I wonder who is responsible for setting them up in that way?

Perhaps someone who realises that WEP is next to useless anyway.

Just because WEP is not enabled, it doesn't mean the site is vulnerable.
Traffic may be encrypted with ssh tunnels, or a variety of other methods.

see http://interactive.linuxjournal.com/article/8017 (which you need to be a
subscriber to read, so heres some quotes:

"If you're still relying on WEP alone, you should be nervous: venerable and
well-known vulnerabilities in WEP make it simple for eavesdroppers to crack
your WEP keys simply by capturing a few hours' worth of WLAN packets and
brute-forcing the flawed encryption used by WEP."

"In a nutshell, 802.11b's WEP protocol has two fatal flaws. First,
cryptographic-implementation flaws make it impossible to achieve encryption
key strength effectively higher than 40 bits, even if your gear supports
higher key lengths. Second, a weakness in WEP's encryption key derivation
implementation makes it possible for an attacker to derive a WEP-protected
network's WEP secret key-the encryption key used by all clients on the
entire WLAN-after capturing a sufficient number of packets."

--
Nick Rout <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>