Just a thought - I've found the live distro DyneBoloc really handy for
trying out the various audio / video apps, it features the latest of all
these.

http://www.dynebolic.org/

 from the features page

      Get Introduced
      Dyne:bolic GNU/Linux is a live bootable distribution, an operating
system which works directly from the CD without the need to install or
change anything on the hard disk. It is user-friendly, recognizes your
hardware devices (sound, video, firewire, and USB) and offers a vast range
of software for multimedia production, streaming, 3D modeling, photo,
peer-to-peer filesharing, web browsing and publishing, word processing,
email, encryption, and networking. It also includes games and a world
navigator. It does automatic clustering, joining the CPU power between any
other dyne:bolic on the local network, and works on modded XBOX consoles as
well.

      Surf, stream, edit, encode and broadcast both sound and video, all
just in one CD you have simply to boot!

      Dyne:bolic is shaped on the needs of media activists to eager the
production of informations, realizing a full multimedia studio. It takes
birth as a grassroot effort to spread free software and the spirit of
sharing informations.

      Some interesting features:

        a.. user friendly, intuitive and funky desktop interface
        b.. full of creative tools for audio/video multimedia production
        c.. no need to install, partition or change data on harddisk
        d.. it will work even if you have Micro$oft Winblows
        e.. automatic hardware recognition and configuration:
        network cards, sound cards, BTTV video cards, firewire, USB devices
and more...
        f.. all harddisks are mounted and fully accessible
        g.. works on old pentium1 as well on XBOX game console
        h.. can save your data and settings in one encrypted file
        on your harddisk or usb storage device (nesting)
        i.. does automatic clustering with other dyne:bolic on the
        net, to join the CPU power of multiple computers
        j.. handcrafted by experienced software artisans making their own
applications since years: dyne:bolic is not based on any other distribution,
is unique!

      Applications included
      The graphical environment is XFree86 with WindowMaker which offers a
fresh level of interaction which distincts dyne:bolic from other common
graphical environments.

      Dyne:bolic includes lots of software, result of the great work being
done by the GNU/Linux free software community thru the past 15 years. To
mention just a few of them:

      Mp4Live, lets you stream mpeg4 audio and video on darwin server |
FreeJ, to perform on video livesets as a freejay | MuSE, to mix and stream
your voice and sound files live on the net HasciiCam, to have a cool
(h)ascii webcam, also on low bandwidth | TerminatorX, GDam, SoundTracker and
PD, to perform with live audio | Kino, Cinelerra and LiVES, to edit video
and publish clips | Audacity and ReZound, to edit audio and add effects on
it | Gimp, the GNU image manipulation software to edit your pictures |
Blender, one of the most powerful 3d modeling and rendering tools | AbiWord
and Ted, to read edit and save any kind of word files | Bluefish, to
generate and edit your html webpages | Sylpheed and Gpa, to send and receive
mails, with full encryption | Lopster, which lets you do filesharing over
winmx and gnutella | Samba, to easily exchange data over shared directories
in LANs | XChat, linphone and other messaging softwares for fast
comunication | VNC and RDesktop to remotely access any Win or Unix desktop |
Lots of network tools, for analysis and poweruser access to the net | Xfe,
an intuitive local file browser recognizing all file types | GCombust, to
easily burn data on CDs on machines with a cd-burner | XRmap, to easily
browse the world geography and the CIA factbook | And, last but not least,
lots of great games also to be played in multiplayer mode, online with your
friends running dyne:bolic!

ciao

Lance Blackler