I'm not on my Debian partition as yet (but can be if requried), though this is how Grub makes my workaday Ubuntu start, if that's any help:

title        Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.10-5-k7
root        (hd0,11)
kernel        /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.10-5-k7 root=/dev/hda12 ro quiet splash
initrd        /boot/initrd.img-2.6.10-5-k7
savedefault
boot

Tip for the uninitiated: use Ext3 filesystem to avoid potential problems, _especially_ on sensitive laptops. Reiser is so clever it can get (seemingly) intractably entangled in 'fault'-mode. Not necessary.

hth, Rik

Yes, I have had some probelms with reiser. By now everything is working and I don't want to change. I also see my laptop more as a portable desktop. It is running 7/24 and it is only a laptop because anything else wold have been extremely expensive to get here from Germany.

Happy Hacking,
Robert Himmelmann

Only those who leisurely approach that which the masses are busy about can be busy about that which the masses take leisurely.
         -- Lao Tsu

"Murphy's Law, that brash proletarian restatement of Gödel's Theorem ..."
         -- Thomas Pynchon, "Gravity's Rainbow"