Steve Holdoway wrote:

Robert Himmelmann wrote:

1. His package is unstable
Nothing unusual.

2. AMD64 is not yet fully tested and/or supported.
I am used to that by now.

3. He assumes that I want to rebuild my kernel with the (outdated) Debian kernel-sources. I do not want to do this. I already have an optimized kernel from Gentoo with working fglrx. I tried to edit /etc/X11/Xfree-conf4 I did not get any error in /var/log/XFree86.0.log. but glxinfo shows that I am still using mesa.

I will keep trying and googleing.

I think I will try to solve some other, more important problems first. Because I do not use fglrx I can also switch to tty1-6 which is very usefull until I can figure out why Ctrl-Alt-Esc does not work.

I forget you're on 64 bit.

The laptop's running 8.11.0 from www.kernel.org on Intel M. Keep well away from ReiserFS if you're trying this at home kids.

For completeness: Never mount the same partition twice with two different operating systems. It causes a lot of corruption. If you ask yourself why anbody would do that you probably haven't used qemu yet.

A new question:

4. I tried to use (X)Emacs under Debian. When I use the Debian one or chroot into Gentoo or SuSE I always get the same result: The whole interface looks differently, especially the font is too big. As I cannot anything else I think that X is the cause of this. Is there any way to transfer the settings I have from Gentoo to Debian?

I've spent ages thinking of a sarcastic and witty sentence that I could use the letters vim in predominately, but failed. Time for a holiday...

Well, I already have three distros, why not two editors. I am emergeing/apt-getting it.

Happy Hacking,
Robert Himmelmann

Only those who leisurely approach that which the masses are busy about can be busy about that which the masses take leisurely.
         -- Lao Tsu

"Murphy's Law, that brash proletarian restatement of Gödel's Theorem ..."
         -- Thomas Pynchon, "Gravity's Rainbow"