Cheers Nick, I will give this a go tomorrow night, when I get some time on
the PC.
I have got so confused with all of the options that people have
recommended with this card this I think I've gone round and round in
circles and haven't got anywhere, so I will try this approach on a fresh
install making sure that I have the necessary kernel modules compiled for
use.

I've got a spare 40GB drive sitting around so will do a fresh Gentoo
2005.0 install on that tomorrow night and hopefully get things up and
running.

I think that when I do get it running I might have to write a how-to of my
own so that others can avoid the issues that I have had.