Nick Rout wrote:

(the x86 partitioning scheme is worse than the 640k memory limit, at
least in linux we can ignore the 640k business!)
It is worse if you use Windoze. Then your boot-partition must be a promary one. It is also to my information not x86(_64) specific but IDE specific. If you use SCSI there is no distinction between primary, extended and logical partition. I have not tried it because the biggest SCSI drive we have has 2Gb. With drives like that
people tend to use LVM and/or RAID instead of multiple partitions. ;)

Happy Hacking,
Robert Himmelmann