On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 18:31, Steve Holdoway wrote:
> On Thu, September 15, 2005 3:49 pm, Volker Kuhlmann wrote:
> > <grave action="dig" owner="self">
> >
> > You might want to investigate the use of apostrophies between the
> > letters "it" and "s"... ;)
> >
> > </grave>
>
> <pedant>
> apostrophes
> </pedant>
>
> Get digging (:

<pedantry type='total'>
There is only one apostrophe associated with the words "its" and "it's"
so the above sentence should read:-
You need to investigate the use of the apostrophe in, and meanings of, the
words "its" and "it's".

The apostrophe substitutes for the letter i and the preceding space in the
word pair "it is". The word "its" ( no apostrophe ) is the possesive of "it".
The one exception to the use of the apostrophe to signify the possesive.
</pedantry>

Isn't the English language so much fun? :-)

Now all we need to do is to get the use of their, there, and the're sorted
out, and we'll be able to tell the dotty slashers where to go.

--
CS