There's always the possibility I'm wrong but I thought that all the parallel or serial ata drives are compatible. A good place to start for prices is pricespy...
http://www.pricespy.co.nz/cat_3.html

100 gig is pretty small these days. Depending on how much you want to spend you could go as far as 300 and still be spending under a dollar a gig. Getting cheaper and cheaper all the time.

Forget all the listings with 5400rpm in them, take note of the ones with larger caches (8MB on some). Seagates (all?) come with a 5 year warranty these days, afaik that is something that the other manufacturers don't match (he said without bothering to check).
Hope this helps.
Roger

Joshua Collins wrote:
I seem to vaguely remember this coming up recently, but I don't recall the results. What is the advice on a harddrive that is linux compatible. One that's about 100Gb would be nice :) Is there anything I should be wary of should a shop assistant try to swindle me. I'm not a huge hardware purchaser so any advice would be handy. Also are there any shops in Christchurch that people would recommend as being either locally owned and/or linux friendly? --Slosh --Gmail headers in use, and curses I missed talk like a pirate day!