On Fri, 30 Sep 2005, Stephen Irons wrote:

Volker Kuhlmann wrote:

I'm afraid the ctrl-alt-bacjspace has been a feature of Linux X11 for
well over a decade, and at times a very useful one too.

I dare say it has been.

I'm also sure I read about it a decade ago.

What I probably stored in my mind was "Don't do that unless X
freezes solid".

Since X hasn't ever frozen solid on me, I didn't.

For a decade.

Until I forgot it's very existence.

Bugger.

Was it Raskin who said (paraphrased from memory) that the ease of doing an action should be related to the ease with which it can be undone?

Which reminds me, unless, like me, the effect of the Vulcan nerve
pinch cntrl-alt-del is welded into your brain, you may choose to edit
/etc/inittab and do something different with the lines...

  # What to do when CTRL-ALT-DEL is pressed.
  ca:12345:ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t1 -a -r now

Since I use it whenever I explicitly want to reboot, which is about
once or twice and installation and I tend to do installs for various
people quite often, I won't forget it.

Sorry guys, cntrl-alt-backspace is just bad UI design. I love Linux
and all it stands for. But it does have the odd wart that deserves to
be called a wart and removed.

Fortunately, since Linux is so open, I can remove the warts from my
personal systems and those I administer.

Nice.

PO Box 1645 Christchurch                Email : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
New Zealand

Carter's Clarification of Murphy's Law.

From this principle, all of life and physics may be deduced.