On Thu, 2005-10-20 at 18:48 +1300, Volker Kuhlmann wrote:
> > The obnoxious file-roller program can read them. File-roller is part of
> > the obnoxious GNOME desktop, clearly.
>
> Not sure what you're getting at, but thanks for the tip. Unfortunately
> you're wrong at least for my version of gnome, where file-roller seems
> to be GUI facade without guts:
>
> /bin/sh: unstuff: command not found

Hrm, was just reading the help documentation - didn't actually read
through the code ;)

> Googling for it right at the top finds a commercial supplier but not a
> lot in the line of Linux extractor programs. But the answer to my
> question is here:
>
> http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Apps/stuffit-archives.html
>
> Easy to see why .bin is an obnoxious format. Unpacking a tar or zip just
> works, as well as a raft of other archive/compression formats.

You could always download the trial version, which gives you 15 days
without being asked to register - I'm sure you won't be dealing
with .bin's every day of the week!?

Of course it probably requires a different version of glibc, and
probably doesn't have a nice packaging format ;)

> I also know why I don't much like gnome apps. File-roller can't even
> remember the last directory it opened a file from. I love
> click-me-to-death GUIs. Not.

Hence obnoxious - but you filed a bug in bugzilla.gnome.org, right?

Glynn