On 15/02/06, Robert Himmelmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Barry wrote:
>
> > (after a lot of reading...) There are a lot of security matters being
> > checked (cron hourly) but the man pages do not refer to inittab or
> > this particular alt as far as I can see..
> >
> > I have fixed my problem successfully by altering the offending line in
> > libmsec.py, but what are peoples' thoughts on a script which writes to
> > a file with permissions set to read only?
> >
> > Barry
>
> The owner and root can still write to a "read-only" file. You will get
> "permission denied" in some but not all cases. I.e. :w or ZZ in vim do
> not work but :w! does work.

Actually, you do get permission denied every time you try to write to
a file that you don't have write access to. Some editors, however,
will change the file's write-permission bit so it can be written,
write it, then change the write-permission-bit back.

Incidentally, there are 4 read/write states a file can be in for each
of the 3 sets of owner, group, and other:
read/write
read-only
write-only
neither
That is, the readability of a file is completely independant of the
writeablity of a file.

Cheers,
Carl.