Yeah the 206 is a great base model .. sata is also an option on these now.

base model 80G sata from about $800

Regards

Paul

Dan Coe wrote:
I was thinking of an actual server box rather than DIY e.g Compaq IBM etc.
with somewhere around these specs;

- Mid-level processor e.g P4 rather than Celeron or Xeon
- 1GB RAM
- 2 x ~ 200GB drives in RAID 1
- Extra 2 x ~200GB hot-swappable SATA drives for backup
- In a tower case

What is my best bet for out-of-the-box (or close to) Linux compatibility?

IBM X206
- add the required memory + the extra drives (I'd go for SCSI rather
than SATA)  - forget the HOSTRAID  let linux/kernel RAID do the work.

- btw - I liked the tape option.  Far more robust.