> I'm logged in to ftp.

> I want to copy everything, including subfolders and files, to the remove
> server.

> What have I done wrong?

Simple answer: you have used ftp.

Considering the chaotic absent-minded design of ftp, it's only
remarkable for its continuing widespread use. Basically, ftp is useful
for downloading single files. For everything else, you want something
better. I suggest rsync, it has a well-defined protocol, efficient
implementation, more convenience options than you want to know about
(but do get your head around its exclude/include handling), and
optionally works over secure connections.

If you're absolutely stuck with ftp, e.g. because your web hosting
company is stupid, buy some straws, get a hamster, and use sitecopy.

Good luck ;)

Volker

--
Volker Kuhlmann                 is list0570 with the domain in header
http://volker.dnsalias.net/     Please do not CC list postings to me.