On Thu, 2006-04-06 at 22:45 +1200, Steve Holdoway wrote:
> Thre was a pretty major stuff up in the RedHat camp re non-GPL modules (
> remember 2.6.8/9 and all that? ), such that FC5 release was in the same
> situation. The vanilla 2.6.16 kernel from www.kernel.org does *NOT* suffer
> from this, as I'm using it ( on FC5 ) with the proprietary ATI display
> drivers. It may be an idea to roll your own kernel and see if that works any
> better.
Not enough nerve to commit to such adventure with my rather insufficient
expertise. Last time I tried something similar cost me a solid weekend
to roll back (re-install). Lucky the backups were ok.

Is there something else to try, something less risky? Or do I have to
keep booting with the previous kernel version and pray that the next
kernel release will fix the problem?

> I haven't used the cisco vpn drivers ( almost bad enough to make you want to
> find an M$ machine! ) on an SMP kernel, so can't comment on that side of
> things. I did have to reconnect well over 20 times a day when using them,
> though, and ping times to Norway were only 300ms at the time.
You must have been unlucky or they had bad (configured) hardware. I had
hours in a row connected, response like working locally, no reason to
complain. However if kernel upgrades have these consequences M$ may/will
become an attractive option.

> Bring back openvpn!

I wish, but it's not my decision. I can only suggest, which I did.

--
Adrian Mageanu
+64 (0) 21 542 580