On Monday 24 April 2006 14:35, Michael JasonSmith wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-04-24 at 14:16 +1200, Steve wrote:
> > I've got a bit of a problem with a website and, surprise, surprise,
> > IE. I've got a png image that has a transparent background, which
> > doesn't display properly in IE, as it doesn't support transparent
> > pngs. When I use the gimp to convert it to a gif, I end up with an
> > image of appalling quality.
>
> Is the PNG full-colour? If it is, it may be the reduction of the number
> of colours that is causing you problems. Try converting it to indexed
> before exporting it.

I'd load the png into the gimp, if it's indexed, change it to rgb,
do to it what you want to make the colours how you want it. I'd then select
by colour and invert the selection. Expand / contract the selection, Copy
to the clipboard, copy as new, and you will end up with the colour you
selected by being transparent.

Convert this image to indexed. If there are large areas of colour, then
turn off dithering otherwise they go spotty / splotchey. Choose the
minimum number of colours in the index consistent with decent appearance.

Where's the image, I could experiment.

--
CS