On Wednesday 03 May 2006 20:43, Robert Fisher wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 May 2006 1:54 pm, Bernard wrote:
> > Ok It is working, it mounts on boot up.
> >
> > Now how do I get my main C: drive to also show and mount at start up.
>
> Remember that I told you that read/write access to ntfs partitions is
> still very flakey Bernard.
True, but reading from NTFS is fine, and that is what the fstab lines
posted previously do.

> I think that my suggestion that you have your "shared" data on fat32
> partitions so you can access it from either windows or Linux is a common
> suggestion.
>
> Leave your "C" drive for your Windows system.
>
> I am preparred to stand corrected if others have better ideas.
If this is a regular need then the 'Captive' system is probably the way to
go, because it offers slow yet completely safe writing to NTFS from within
Linux. http://www.jankratochvil.net/project/captive/
There are also a number of derivatives.

There is at least one ext2 file system driver available for use under
windows.

A couple of list members use Windows within an instance of Qemu to transfer
files very successfully.

I use a vfat formatted USB memory stick to move data between systems.

This whole subject was examined at some length by Linux-Magazine in August
2005.

http://www.linux-magazine.com/issue/57/
http://www.linux-magazine.com/issue/57/Captive_NTFS.pdf

--