> 'awk' accepts an "array" of field separators -F'[fsfsfs]' between square
> brackets so the required field $12 can be printed out. Not mentioned in the
> manual.

In the interest of portability awareness, let me be anally correct. I
don't think that awk allows a regex for field separation. However, gawk
does, and it is in the manual. Of course on Linux systems, awk is
typically a symlink to gawk. Good programming would be that when you
require features of gawk which are not part of awk, to call the program
by the name of gawk, and it will produce an obvious failure instead of
rubbish results.

Btw see my recent cable traffic script for an example of shell
programming with gawk components, it fits in with the script talk we had
last year too.

Volker

--
Volker Kuhlmann                 is list0570 with the domain in header
http://volker.dnsalias.net/     Please do not CC list postings to me.