From memory (I have lost my IBM hardware manual with the bios listings)

Maurice

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew Packer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Tuesday, 15 August 2006 11:28 p.m.
To: linux-users@it.canterbury.ac.nz
Subject: Re: Desktops through the ages

On Tue, 2006-08-15 at 15:33 +1200, Peter Glassenbury (CSSE) wrote:

Nick Rout wrote:

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 08:39:39 +1200
Peter Glassenbury (CSSE) wrote:

If anyone knows where to get an IBM PC, I would be very interested for our museum (at the University) Seems we missed out when getting started as most people have thrown them away

I think I have an XT or AT in storage, but I think that was a little later. I got it from a friend a few years ago for the 5 1/2 inch floppy drive which i needed in order to access one or two disks of a very old software product. You are welcome to it anyway.

We have the AT (which was the 286)... It was the XT (I think)

<snip>

The XT was a successor to the original IBM PC.  It still had an 8088
processor, but the power supply had been beefed up (to 200? watts from the
original PC's 65 watts), the keyboard layout changed, and there may have
been some other tweaks.

=====Andrew

Hi, I got a XT tucked away somewhere. Last time I fired it up for interests sake was to see how it handled y2k - it did to my surprise. DOS 3.3. From memory were'nt these 640 kb with an extension to 1 meg?? or am I thinking of something earlier?

Also tucked away in a drawer is a Dick Smith VZ200 - save progs/data to your radio cassette player and hope you can retrieve it later, and grab the tv for a monitor while the wife is out! Still got books for it inc memory map. 4k basic built in. I even managed to load 2 progs into memory after loading some machine code and could swap between them with a hot key!

Barry