On 16/08/06, Andrew Errington wrote:
On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 18:30, you wrote:
> > The most telling message in /var/log/messages is "LCP timeout sending
> > config requests".
>
> LCP - line control protocol?
> Those errors I thought are typically caused by the ISP not
> responding to authentication requests before timeout.
> Solution: increase timeouts.
> However, you say *sending* config requests - perhaps it's something else
> entirely, like the modem in fact not exchanging any data at all with the
> ISP, and this LCP thing is the first step and therefore the one to fail.

Yes, but googling for that error message and ltmodem brings up a lot of
examples of the same issue (including *gasp* SuSE, because it is such a
low-level thing.)

I get that error message intermittently in my logs when my ISP is busy.
I'm using IPCop with a real hardware modem (it's PCI, but it has a
UART - perhaps the last PCI real modem ever sold in New Zealand).
Usually I connect on the next attempt when I get that error.

Yuri de Groot