On Saturday 16 September 2006 15:14, Volker Kuhlmann wrote:
> > The modem from 'lspci' is 'Agere Systems LT WinModem'.
>
> Most of those should be good.
>
> > gives the error: 'Timeout expired while waiting for the PPP interface to
> > come up'. ppp.log is (timestamps removed):

> > <accomp>]
>
> Negotiation stage with your ISP.
>
> > Terminating on signal 15
> > sent [LCP TermReq id=0x2 "User request"]
> > sent [LCP TermReq id=0x3 "User request"]
> > Connection terminated
>
> These lines are intermixed and must have come from different processes.
>
> The signal 15 (TERM) probably comes from kppp, to clean up a supposedly
> hung process pppd. So either kppp gives up too early, or pppd takes too
> long to establish a connection.
>
> Can you see any text strings which look like a login prompt, or some
> clear text identification from your ISP in the logs?

No nothing at all between LCP ConfReq and Terminating on signal 15.

> If not, then your modem hardware driver is not working properly and no
> data is exchanged over the link with your ISP.

Looks like it's probably the driver then. I'm used to rebuilding kernels on
Gentoo but haven't done anything like this with Kubuntu. Is it worth the
effort or is an external modem the simplest solution?

> If yes, your login is failing. Assuming your user code and password are
> correct, you may have the wrong authentication protocol, or wvdial is
> failing to detect the login prompt. Try setting wvdial's stupid mode to
> the other state.
>
> Above is my best guess.
>
> Btw is this inet.net.nz ?
> They claim they have a very user-friendly help desk...

Yes it is inet.net.nz. I phoned them this afternoon and the guy on the help
desk suggested I try tomorrow afternoon when there should be someone there
who knows about Linux.

Tom