Thanks Keith,

Is there any more obstinate Linux?

Keith McGavin wrote:
a 'chmod 644 /sbin/lilo' will prevent it from doing so.
thats pretty bloody rude of it.
Might have another go with Xandros one day then, by taming it.

a google search on the xandros forums brings up some info.

basically the bootup runs (xandros) /sbin/fooze which writes
detected partitions as records to /etc/devices/devices.inf.

near the end of the boot the records are copied into /etc/lilo.conf
as stanzas and lilo is run. lilo.conf cannot be manually edited because fooze forces the overwrite but it is possible to edit devices.inf. Two solutions to prevent Xandros rewrite the bootloader.

chmod 644 /sbin/fooze      (stops lilo.conf overwrite and lilo)
chmod 644 /sbin/lilo       (stops lilo)

preferred to chmod lilo as fooze is a sysconfig tool responsible for
some other tasks during the boot.

By accepting the boot floppy option, I saved my mbr. However I was still left with the impression that lilo was passing some fragment of boot code or something to the Xandros kernel, because grub could not be configured to start it at all.

I googled, quizzed an expert, and came to the conclusion that it could not be done, but..

Have you succeeded in starting Xandros with grub?

Cheers
--
Rik