On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 02:01:17 +1200
Volker Kuhlmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Blimey, how many web developers can you insult with a single sentence,
> > spelling mistakes notwithstanding!
>
> How many web developers can insult users with a single page?
>
> HTML was designed as simple markup while leaving the exact rendering to
> the browser. The number of spacer.gifs everywhere shows that web
> developers fail to grasp this concept.
Sorry, you're way out of date. Sure some dinosaurs still use these, the rest
use css. Try /. for an example ( just been redesigned ), or digg, or a million
or so others.

> There is no practical way for controlling fonts on websites (other than
> the workarounds already posted). Personally I'm not sorry about it.
> There's far too much visual stuff and lack of content already. Reminds
> me of architecture somehow. More to do with ego message of the designer,
> less with the user.
The web is a media-rich environment. Why shouldn't be? You can perfectly
legally request a font family ( and override it locally ), so why not extend
it... after all, a font definition is far smaller than an image on most
websites.

> > There are a few problems with pdfs in this case, like
> > expanding/contracting menus, drag/drop,
>
> > Pdf's do not support a rich multimedia
> > environment that web users expect these days.
>
> As long as it moves or looks sexy everyone's happy. Never mind the
> content.
That's only a small fraction of it. The best use of the screen area to
communicate with the reader is top of the list to most designers - sure you get
prima donnas ( and dinosaurs ) - but it's extremely difficult given multiple
popular graphical browsers, some of which pay only lip service to the published
standards, variable screen sizes ( and now cinemascope as well! ), and so on.
css is designed to separate the format from the content, so at least there's a
central point to 'control' the look and feel of a website, which helps. A
commercial website is an extension of the company, and should be branded as
such. If it looks like sh*t, then it's not going to promote the company. If
your branding requires the use of a comic font, so should your website. Why
shouldn't it? It's a component of the corporate image.

> Agreed re your comments on flash. Add fonts to the list. Why would web
> developers be able to handle them more responsibly (if there was choice)
> than flash?
>
> Volker
>
> --
> Volker Kuhlmann                       is list0570 with the domain in header
> http://volker.dnsalias.net/   Please do not CC list postings to me.
The web isn't a paper document. It has the ability to be media rich and
dynamic. This requires a completely different approach to the content you
publish. It is also the best part of a thousand years newer, so it is still
learning. Not even TBL would dream of enforcing the original web standards on
todays content, and he invented it... read some of ( one of ) his blog at
http://dig.csail.mit.edu/breadcrumbs/blog/4

Steve