> On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 11:40:47 +1300
> reg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>  The main point of this exercise is to actually get my xp
>> computer to see my home directory on both suse computers. Only one can
>> do that at this point and I have spent half of yesterday and half of
>> today trying to figure out why. I am really starting to get discouraged
>> with it. I can make two xp computers share files within a few minutes.
>> Yet such a simple thing as xp to linux is almost beyond me.
>>
>> reg
>>

> Well, samba will allow you to publish folders same as XP can. So the same
> questions apply, like are you in the same workgroup/domain, same subnet,
> etc, etc, etc...
>
> D*mn site easier than fighting with AD, then waiting 12 minutes and it
> automagically works at last!
>
> Steve.

One thing to remember is that the samba password database is maintained
separately to the linux password database that you log on with.

I usually add samba users manually with:

(as root) smbpasswd -a nick

it then prompts for the password, which may or may not be the same as your
normal login password.

Maybe some distros automate this stuff, I'm not sure.