On Sat, 2007-01-06 at 08:27 +1300, Volker Kuhlmann wrote:
> On Fri 05 Jan 2007 21:33:44 NZDT +1300, Andrew Packer wrote:

(detailed bleating by Andrew with lengthy analysis by Volker)

Ta for the analysis, and here's my follow-up.

My most recent yum update had installed kernel 2.6.18.1-28?? in place of
2.6.18.1-27?? (the latter of which I thought had booted X without
complex manoeuvring, and also shut down cleanly).

Indeed, rebooting into the slightly earlier kernel cured the X and
shutdown problems.  The grub config file is now edited to make the -27??
version the default.

As for configuring the X server with FC 6's graphical tool, now I have
managed to make the appropriate change in the xorg.config file (the
driver is now "i810") for the Intel 945GM video system, but for some
reason the BoardName in said config file remains "VESA driver
(generic)".  I suspect the gui tool isn't editing xorg.config
properly.

I was motivated to squawk by Nick's request for holiday horror stories.
Mea culpa for giving up so quickly.

But I still do find synaptic and its non-gui building blocks friendlier
and less problem-prone than yum.

=====Andrew