On Wed, 31 Jan 2007, Kerry Mayes wrote:

So "alien" isn't worth trying?

(For someone who _really doesn't_ know what they are doing?)

I have had quite a few successes with Alien.

My guess is where is does well is when there is not a lot of pre and
post install script fiddling.

Where the package doesn't have deep/strange dependency requirements.

And, read my other post about standalone executables and DLL's.

ie. If the alien package is basically a statically linked binary.

ie. Someone other than standard linux distributor has prepackaged a
binary version of his/her program and wants it to run on several
distros and versions of distros.

ie. If you grabasnatch an arbitrary rpm from a deadbat install disk and
try install it on a debian box with Alien. Give up now. It isn't going
to work.

If you d/load some scientific package that some helpful bod has prepared on
his web site in rpm format. Give it a go.

PO Box 1645 Christchurch                Email : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
New Zealand