> The PC has always been noisy. In fact, it had two case fans when I
> bought it! I ripped one out straight away. Just cheap fans I guess.

I have excellent results with a Vantec 80mm Stealth Fan, SF8025L

http://www.vantecusa.com/p_sf_6025l.html

Can be had for about $20 in town. 21dbA is relatively quiet in the first
place, which drops to near inaudible if you put a series resistor of 30
to 100 Ohm into the ground line (black). Pointed at a heat point, like a
heat sink or disk, even slow air movement provides adequate cooling
while remaining much quieter than your CPU fan. Select the resistor
value depending on the air flow/noise tradeoff you want.

Warning: avoid short circuits on the power lines at all cost as it will
do some damage. You're dealing with 20A plus nominal current, and I'd
hate to test the short-cicuit characteristics of cheap PC power
supplies. It's a bit safer to put the resistor into the gorund line and
not the 12V line, but in any case insulate the solder points and bare
wires well.

Volker

--
Volker Kuhlmann                 is list0570 with the domain in header
http://volker.dnsalias.net/     Please do not CC list postings to me.